Friday, May 18, 2007

Because You Suck: Chapter 2: Part 38

Casey clasped his hands together and opened his room door for Gentry,“OH my GOD Gentry thank you SO much for helping me with my essay.”
Gentry looked up at Casey as he passed,”Yeah. No problem.”
“I don’t know how to write essays.”
“You don’t know how to write in general. Your literature skills are so dismal I had to write your college application for you.” Gentry murmured under his breath, then spoke up to say,” this paper is supposed to interpret how the narrative pace and diction in Act I of Hamlet contributes to the character of the ghost?”
“Yeah.” Casey flushed in annoyance as his cellphone rang,”One minute.”
Gentry took a seat in front of Casey’s laptop, starting to type as Casey talked. He couldn’t help but marvel at how deceiving appearances were: he, an athlete, was doing homework for a self-proclaimed prep and honor student.
”Um, HI Mikey. Oh, sorry, I can’t watch a movie. Yeah. Mmm-hmm. I’m studying with… yeah. Ok. Bye now.”
Gentry’s eyes were fixed on Casey, their hawklike gaze betraying his thoughts. A question gnawed at his mind, but he didn’t vocalize it. Casey went to the kitchen to get some food, returning with a handful of candy bars and eating them as he slowly flipped through a magazine. Gentry stopped typing suddenly and leaned back in his seat, crossing his arms.
“Why didn’t you mention my name over the phone?” he demanded.
“Uhh…” Casy turned to him,”I don’t know?”
“You damn well know.”
Casey looked away,”Sorry… are you offended by it?”
“You think? Wouldn’t you be offended if I ignored you and didn’t want to be associated with you?”
“I’m sorry. It’s just that you’re friends with a homophobe, and---“
“Leave Zach out of this. He’s not an excuse for your actions.”
“I’m sorry.”
“Well, the paper is done.” Gentry stood up.
Casey’s face brightened,”Really?”
“Yeah.”
“Oh my GOD Gentry, thank you SO much.”
Gentry moved to leave, but Casey chirped,”Hold up. You have the hots for Zach, don’t you?”
For a moment Gentry saw a flicker of something familiar. Something reminding him of how Casey used to be.
“Hots?” The redhead grinned ruefully,“I want to fuck him until he can’t walk. Yeah, I like him. A lot.”
Casey laughed,”I didn’t think you liked black guys, Gentry. You keep surprising me.”
“Zach’s black?”
“Yeah. Black-something, the bone structure gives it away. But admittedly, he has good hair for a black guy. It’s a bit poofy, but at least it doesn’t look like there are pubes on his head; if you know what I mean.”
The grin faded from Gentry’s features,”I don’t care what he looks like.”
“What is this self-righteous attitude from you?” Casey laughed loudly,”Look, I don’t date black guys. It’s not a racist thing. I just don’t find them attractive and I don’t wanna date them. It’s a personal preference.”
Gentry was quiet for a moment, then said,“You keep surprising me, too, Casey.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's good and I'm not a prude or anything but the 'fuck him till he can't walk' and the pube part is sort of ...unsettling? Maybe you can tone it down a bit? I don't know, it's your story.