Monday, March 26, 2007

Because You Suck: Chapter 2: Part 14

“It’s only a guinea pig.” Stated Gentry, taking the animal into his hands and removing the net that was tightly wrapped around it. The frightened animal buried against his chest, clicking its teeth in agitation. Gentry shifted his gaze to the angry boy on his porch, whose dripping wet body was bare except for the towel wrapped around the waist.
“…But thanks for bringing him back.” A smirk,”And the nice view.”
Zach flushed furiously,”What do you have that thing for?”
“What? You mean Geronimo?”
“Yes--- that.” Zach shrunk back as the animal wrathfully chattered its teeth at him,”That.”
“My dad gave him to me.” Gentry replied, tossing the animal back into its cage and slamming it shut. The animal ran to the bars, squeaking in protest.
Zach leered at it,“What’s so great about a guinea pig? All they do is run around and look cute--- they have nothing going on in their head.”
Gentry was quiet for a while,“Do you have a pet?”
“I do.” Zach paused,”A pot-bellied pig. His name is Zeus.”
Gentry leaned against the doorframe with a smirk,“What’s so great about a pig?”
“They’re smarter than dogs, and definitely smarter than that thing.”
“Then why do pigs get eaten, and guinea pigs don’t?”
“You eat pigs?”
“I’m a vegetarian.”
Zach’s eyes lit up,”I didn’t know you were an animal lover.”
“I'm not.” Gentry shook his head and made a face,”I’m a vegetarian because I can't stand the sight of them. I keep hoping Geronimo will die, but he never does.”

No comments: